When is sex or even heavy petting (yeah, that’s right I’m bringing this phrase back) allowed in YA fiction?
- When someone is dying or dies shortly afterward.
- As a cautionary tale about teen pregnancy.
- When it’s somehow non-consensual.
- When it’s the biggest mistake of the character’s life.
Why do most teenagers have sex?
- Because they’re curious.
- Because they’re bored.
- Or God forbid because it feels good!!!!
This side is somehow less “ok” to write about. One of the refreshing things about a book I read recently called The DUFF was that it dealt with teens who were having sex and enjoying themselves without the world ending. Now I don’t necessarily think all, or even most, teenagers are ready for sex. But they are capable of having healthy relationships that are sexual in some way. So why isn’t it written about?
1 thought on “When is sex allowed?”
I love how the entry on sex is written in BOLD.