Sometimes there comes a point while reading a library book that I realize, “Oh shit, I have to go buy it.” This usually happens when I read a sentence or passage so unbelievably well written, or so universally truthful, that my hands itch to bend down the corner of the page or underline with the nearest pen.
I have to be selective though, because excessive book-buying, whether new or used, usually elicits a heavy amount of eye-rolling from my loving husband. Who, truth be told, is the one who’s had to heft those ridiculously heavy boxes of books on each of the five moves I’ve made in the time we’ve been together.
But as the holidays are approaching, and books do make the most wonderful gifts, I thought I’d throw together a short list of some of the Keepers I’ve read this year.
Fiction for Grown Ups
- State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
- The Keep by Jennifer Egan
- A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
- Bossypants by Tina Fey (Not really fiction, but snort yer milk out the nose funny)
- The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell
YA Fiction for Grown Ups or not so Grown Ups
- On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
- You Don’t Know Me by David Klass
- Ball Don’t Lie by Matt De La Pena
Please comment if you have a good one to recommend. I love to add to my list!